How To Create Your Home Office
As an independent KHM Travel Agent, you will enjoy the many benefits of working from home. You are able to set your own hours, with no rigid schedule to keep or time clock to punch. Your commute time may only be as long as it takes you to walk the few steps to your desk.
You also have control over how you would like to set up your office. Creating a comfortable and organized workspace is key to making sure that your time spent working at home is as productive as possible.
First, choose a location in your home to use as your office. Even if you can’t devote an entire room to your business, try to find an area that can be set aside exclusively as your workspace — even if it is just a quiet corner or a converted closet. Having a dedicated spot where you can work and make phone calls without being interrupted is ideal.
Next, assemble the key equipment necessary for your business. The main things you will need are:
- Work surface – A desk or table that allows enough space for your electronics and keeping any vital paperwork close at hand.
- Comfortable chair – You may spend a considerable amount of time sitting, so make sure to choose something that is comfortable and provides proper back support.
- Computer – You will need reliable internet access, and the ability to print is a bonus.
- Telephone – You may choose to have a dedicated landline, a cell phone, or both. Consider purchasing a headset or other device for hands-free talking, which will come in handy if you are trying to take notes during a call or keep busy while on a lengthy hold.
- File Storage – You will need to keep track of paperwork related to running your business, as well as client information.
There are many other items that can be added to help keep you organized: A calendar or planner to keep track of appointments, a memo board on the wall to plan out projects, a spot to keep reference material from suppliers. You may also consider shelves or bins to hold brochures and marketing materials, although these don’t necessarily have to be stored directly in your main workspace.
Your office décor doesn’t need to break the bank. You may be able to find used furnishings at a thrift store or for sale online, or you could repurpose some items from other areas of your house. Start off with a smaller space and basic equipment, which you can add to or upgrade as your business grows.
Once you have the basics in place, don’t forget to add a personal touch to your workspace. Have some fun with it! Display pictures from your travels, frame certifications you have earned, or add other decorative items that bring a smile to your face. Being happy in your office will help you look forward to sitting down at your desk each day to work, and you will be off to a great start in your career as a KHM Travel Agent!
Not a KHM Travel Agent yet? Visit www.KHMTravel.com to learn more about the training and support available to start your career as a home-based travel agent.