Save Money on Your Spring Break Escape
Written by: Stephanie on November 28, 2022
If Punxsutawney Phil predicts six more weeks of winter on February 2, there’s no need to grumble…sunny skies and sandy beaches are just a quick plane ride away! If you haven’t started planning yet, put down that snow shovel and make your reservations for a spring break escape with these money-saving tips in mind.
1. Book ASAP. College kids aren’t the only ones heading south during spring break, and airlines have taken note of the increased demand, especially on peak travel days. The closer you book to spring break, the higher the fares will be. With travel booming once again, availability for hotels and resorts could also be a challenge, so making reservations months in advance ensures your plans are set.
2. Take a Five-Day Trip. Of course you’ll want to spend as much time out of the snow belt as possible, but you will pay more for weekend-to-weekend flights. For a more budget-conscience vacation, check Monday or Tuesday departures and potentially save major moolah.
3. Try Alternate Airports. The closest airport to your destination may not be the cheapest option, depending on where you are departing from. For example, if you have your sights set on Walt Disney World, check for flights to Tampa — just 84 miles from Orlando — as the airfare might be cheap enough to make the extra drive worth it. This same rule of thumb applies for your departure city – don’t forget to check cost from other nearby airports.
4. Look at Less Common Destinations. Snow can be fun, we swear. This time of year, keep an eye out for great deals on airfare to prime ski areas in Colorado and New England. If you really need a break from the cold, try less-obvious destinations like Southern California or New Orleans. If the surf and sand beckons, avoid the Florida hot spots and spread out your towel on a beach off the beaten path.
5. Plan the Details in Advance. Purchasing meals and enjoying activities while traveling can cause daily spending to sneak up on you. With your budget in mind, plan your dining for each day of your trip with consideration to must-do restaurants and cost-saving quick bites. When it comes to activities, tours, and excursions, your travel agent can assist with recommendations and booking to maximize your dollar and fun.
Spring break travel can pack a punch, but it doesn’t have to be painful on the wallet. The key is organization, planning ahead, and maximizing your budget in creative ways…all aspects of travel a professional travel agent can help you with!