Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at KHM Travel Group
KHM Travel Group’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Team is comprised of a volunteer group of Corporate Team Members and our independent travel agents. Working together, we seek ways to highlight diversity and inclusion within the travel industry and within our organization. We strive for equity, ensuring all agents in our community have what they need to be successful.
The team was formed in 2017, after the KHM Travel Group Corporate Team was approached by a group of agents who expressed concern about the lack of available supplier marketing resources to promote travel to diverse groups of clients.
KHM Travel Group responded by inviting these agents to serve on a focus group, along with Corporate Team Members with expertise in supplier relations, sales, marketing, and operations. This group analyzed how we as a company respond to the needs of diverse travelers and brainstormed ways to make the industry more equitable for all agents to achieve success. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DE&I) was formed. Today, the committee meets quarterly, with sub-committee meetings in between, to explore how we can best advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the travel industry.
Our committee consists of 9 subcommittees which represent the diverse agent and client community we serve:
- Physical / Mental Challenges: One’s physical and cognitive limitations
- LGBTQ+ & Gender Identity: One’s sexual and gender identity
- Race / Ethnicity / Age / Veteran Status: One’s race, ethnic background, age, and military background
- Faith-Based Travel: One’s spiritual beliefs or lack thereof
- Corporate Initiatives: Increasing representation internally through tracking and corporate awareness
- Awards, Criteria & PR: Recognition for suppliers who reflect our values through representation
- Engagement: Seeking and retaining agents and corporate team members
- Supplier Marketing Review Committee: Auditing our Preferred Suppliers’ marketing materials for representation
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Mission Statement
We serve as advocates for representation and recognition for all people within the travel industry. KHM Travel Group is committed to building a culture that respects and embraces diversity, inclusion, and equality. We encourage these values be embraced by our team members, travel agents, suppliers, clients, and communities we serve.
Diversity in Action Award
KHM Travel Group invites our suppliers to join us in celebrating diversity by participating in the chance to win our Diversity in Action Award. This award was first announced at our 2019 Crystal Conference as a way to encourage industry excellence by recognizing the importance of travel agents and travelers being able to identify with diverse yet inclusive images of enjoyable vacation experiences. Suppliers who are interested in this opportunity should email [email protected] for more information.
Diversity in Action Winners:
- Carnival Cruise Line (2020)
- Royal Caribbean International (2021)
2021 Diversity in Action Award Winner –
Royal Caribbean International
Diversity in Travel Shareable Graphics
Diversity & Inclusion Resources for Travel Agents
6 Travel Suppliers for the LGBTQ+ Community from KHM Travel Group
5 Tips to Make Your Travel Agency LGBTQ Friendly from Host Agency Reviews
Travel Professionals of Color website
The International LGBTQ+ Travel Association
American Indian Alaska Native Tourism Association
Special Needs at Sea
Association of Black Travel Professionals Website