Go Green at these All-Inclusive, Eco-Friendly Resorts
Written by: Amanda on May 11, 2015
More and more travelers are looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint. Whether it’s renting a hybrid car or volunteering with a conservation group, the number of eco-friendly travel options continues to grow. Many major airlines now even offer travelers the option to purchase carbon offsets when booking flights, to cancel out the emissions generated by their personal travel.
Resorts are catching on as well. After all, many of them rely on the surrounding natural landmarks and picturesque views to capture the attention of travelers. These popular resorts have taken earth-friendly initiatives to give guests a peace of mind, without sacrificing any of the comforts expected at a world-class hotel.
- 85% of menu items are prepared with products from local farmers and growers
- Installed energy-efficient air conditioners and electric hand dryers
- Use environmentally-conscious cleaning products
RIU Hotels and Resorts
- Sustainability Certificates at all hotels
- Use biodegradable cleaning products & environmentally-friendly fabrics
- Actively strive to reduce use of water, electricity and chemical products
- Established a private wildlife refuge in Costa Rica
Karisma Hotels and Resorts
- Launched Passion for the Environment Program to encourage guest and staff participation in environmental sustainability practices
- Solar panels that heat 40% to 100% of the water at each resort
- Developed 70,000 square foot greenhouse at El Dorado Royale that supplies Riviera Maya resorts with local, fresh produce
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Hawaii
- Provide vehicle charging stations
- Donate spa profits to The Nature Conservancy
- Have reduced water usage by 44% with low-flow plumbing system
Zoëtry Wellness Resorts and Spas
- Participate in waste reduction programs
- Donate to coral reef and sea turtle preservation programs
- Offer ecological tours of local flora and fauna, with emphasis on preservation
- Employees coordinate beach clean-up trips
As a travel agent, keeping environmental issues in mind will help you when working with clients who want to go green. Some agents even specialize in eco-conscious trips!
Want to learn more about selling special-interest vacations? We can help you get started with our free information packet. Just fill out the form on the right or call 1-888-611-1220 to request it!