Travel Agent Questions to Ask Clients
Written by: Amanda on March 02, 2016
When you begin your journey to become a travel agent there is a lot to learn. This profession is fun and exciting, and you will get to meet and work with a lot of wonderful people. Each of your clients will be unique, so there are some questions that you should ask them to better understand what they are looking for on their vacation.
In order to plan the best vacation for your client, you need to learn as much as you can about them and the other members they are traveling with. Let’s take a look at some travel agent questions to ask clients, and remember to learn as much as you can about their lifestyle and budget so that you can meet their needs and exceed their expectations.
Questions a Travel Agent Should Ask
- Where are you planning on traveling? When?
- What kind of research have you done?
- How old will the passengers be (for senior discounts)?
- Does anyone have military service (for military discounts)?
- What is your goal for this vacation?
Questions about Past Travel Likes and Dislikes
- How are you used to traveling?
- What are some of your past vacation likes and dislikes?
- What is the best travel experience you’ve ever had? Why?
- Tell me about your last three vacations. How did you get there and where did you stay?
- How do you want this vacation to be different from others you have been on?
Questions about Experience Expectations
- What do you like about your chosen destination?
- What types of family vacation activities are important to you?
- What have you been dreaming of doing on this vacation?
- Are you looking for a more intimate experience or would you prefer more action and nightlife?
- Would it be important to you to stay at a resort that has activities and nightlife after 11PM?
- What kind of attire would you like to wear for evening wear?
Questions about Dining
- Is room service important to you?
- What are your favorite foods?
- Do you enjoy eating island cuisine (or trying local cultural foods)?
- Do you like the idea of being able to eat and drink as much as you want for one price?
- When you’re at home, what restaurants do you frequent when dining out?
- Do you or someone in your party have food allergies or special diets?
Questions about Water Activities (if applicable)
- What type of water activities do you like?
- Would you consider yourself a beach person or a pool person?
- Is beach service important to you?
- Are long walks on the beach important to you?
- Are you certified to scuba dive? Would you like to get certified while on vacation?
- Are you interested in travel insurance?
- Would you like me to arrange transfers for you and your guests to and from the airport?
- Can I put together a list of excursions for you to review? I’d love to help arrange one for your trip.
While we know that this is a long list of questions travel agents should ask clients, the more you learn, the better experience you can plan. Remember that it’s not enough to just ask questions, but you also need to listen to the answers entirely and modify your follow up questions based on the conversation.
Want to learn more about becoming a travel agent? Fill out the form on the right side of the screen of call us directly at 1-888-611-1220 to receive our free Travel Agent Information Guide.